Wednesday, September 19, 2007

iScream, youScream, we all scream for iPod touch

Believe it or not, I've been so busy what with the law school falling apart that I completely missed the boat on the new iPod touch. A friend had actually emailed me a week or two ago and mentioned it as an aside, but I was honestly too busy to bother investigating. (It's pretty amazing, of course, and since I don't need another mobile phone, I may just get one.) Which brings me to the point of this post...

Given all that we know and all that we're learning about social networks, staying "connected," and whatnot, I'm wondering if we can come up with a sort of informational equivalent to the Dunbar number. I mean, how much information can we possibly process on a daily basis at any kind of meaningful level of engagement? That's part of what keeps me from diving headlong into blogging and social networks and why I'm only halfheartedly committed to either Myspace or Facebook. I simply don't have enough time to digest all this stuff! Granted, I keep a pretty insane schedule and sleep less than I should. But I don't find myself quite so drawn to these virtual gathering places or even my favorite blogs as much as I do to good old-fashioned email, major news sites, and hard copy. So old school, I know...

As for the local citizen media sites Paul pointed out, I have to say that I prefer the tried and tested approach of the News & Observer, which is less like citizen media and more like typical newspaper coverage targeted to more local audiences. But it works for me. The STP site seems a bit snarky and somewhat dormant. I do appreciate the OP site, but even though I live in Orange County, I can't see myself turning to it terribly often.

No comments: