Saturday, September 22, 2007

Yes, it looks like a breadboard, but is it art?

With the current debate about Star Simpson's "t-shirt art", I thought I'd add my two cents. (A good description of the incident can be found at boingboing.)

(1) Yes, Boston overdid it yet again.
(2) Yes, I believe that she wore this around campus and that it wouldn't be an unusual thing to wear at MIT.
(3) Having raised two kids past the 19-year-old age point, I suspect that a 19-year-old MIT comp sci/engineering student (who are already known to be more politically active than their peers at other universities) knew exactly what she was doing when she went to the airport. This is what made the t-shirt "art" and not (k/c)raft.

It suggests that whenever you think you may have underestimated the common sense of the Boston authorities that you need to just try, try again.

However, I want to play my part now, so I really want a hoax device t-shirt of my own and I think this one will do nicely:



It can be purchased at ThinkGeek.com.

No comments: