Monday, November 12, 2007

Shhhh

I'm not really sure whether posting this link is kosher (which makes the transgression appropriately ironic) but here's an article on the creation of ethical codes through punishment. I only post this in case anyone was interested in the comment made in class about sustaining a communal ethos.
http://www.unc.edu/~knobe/phil-psych/Sripada.pdf
In a more informal tone, I was disappointed we didn't quite get to discussing the role of reputation in accruing social capital. I don't know where to stand on it: it may be that a bad reputation will harm ones social capital in small societies. In larger societies, however, i would guess the principle of 'all press is good press' operates to a certain degree. This is of course context specific, depending on the line of work one is in, for instance. But tokening a seems a better means to maintaining weak ties than, well, good and forgettable behavior.
Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Paul Jones said...

I'm not sure that Daniel Solove's new book (out less than a month so I haven't read it yet myself) "The Future of Reputation: Gossip, Rumor, and Privacy on the Internet" will address your reputation concerns. Solove's approach is mostly legal and narrative and your question is more about effect. Still there should be some overlap. See Davis Library soon or the Bull S Head.