Friday, November 2, 2007

Social Media and Public Relations

This morning in my Principles of Public Relations class with Dr. Craig Carroll, I listened to the founder and CEO of KDPaine and Partners via Skype. She first presented a Powerpoint presentation that yielded several surprises. KDPaine and Partners is a public relations agency focusing on the measurement and reporting of public relations in target markets and, apparently, in social media.

Her presentation and lecture told how she and her agency leverage Podcasts, YouTube, Facebook, MySpace, Google, and blogs as channels both to distribute messages and to measure the effectiveness of messages. She also told how she uses Twitter more than email; she is the first CEO of a larger business I have heard to admit such.

This demonstrates the real-world emergence and importance of Social Media, and how it can certainly be leveraged for related fields of study. This also further supports my previous blog post below and the monetization of social media on the web (see this post). I might pursue an interview at a later time. Also, I was called out in class while blogging this and Twittering it (I blame my loud Macbook keys), so I hope this post is appreciated :)

1 comment:

Lorraine Richards Bornn said...

I find it ironic, given the content of that class, that you were called out. Thanks for sharing that really interesting info.